Tuesday, July 19, 2011

Frank Gehry's 'Galleria Italia' at the AGO


This wonderful warm gallery on the north side of the AGO (Art Gallery of Ontario) is the Galleria Italia named after the 26 families of Italian descent who each contributed $500,000 to the Frank Gehry re-design of the building. The name of each family is prominently displayed on one of the Douglas Fir beams that support the structure. It is a beautiful, peaceful room with the glass walls providing a lovely view of the Victorian row-houses across Dundas St.

15 comments:

Jack said...

This is really good! The art museum has a creative fundraiser to come up with the Italian family idea.

Paul in Powell River said...

Wow! again - You're on a roll with these Red!

LĂșcia said...

It's really wonderful, and I can feel the peaceful atmosphere too. This is the kind of place I'd love to visit many times. ;-)

Montreal Photo Daily said...

Beautifully captured here RedPat! Yes, another must-see for me. Thanks.

Randy said...

This really is quite stunning.

PerthDailyPhoto said...

What an amazing space Red. The sun shining through those windows makes it look so warm and mellow.

Kate said...

Have I told you lately how much I ADORE Gehry? Italians are the best...great contributions for truly stunning gallery.

Birdman said...

This is quite a stunning display.

Sharon said...

What a beautiful space! I love those beams.

Jenny Woolf said...

What a fabulous place. I'd love to visit in real life. I'd like that kind of corridor in my own home.

EG CameraGirl said...

Stunning!

Chrissy Brand said...

Amazing- your blog has made me add Toronto to places I must see in person!

Chrissy

Unknown said...

I admire Gehry's work so very much! I simply love this and the previous photo too.

Regina K said...

Love the architecture of this gallery. Stunning.

Rae Walter said...

Loved visiting here last year, amazing space